Cambridgeshire County Council

Local Authority

SEND Information Report 2018-19

Duxford Church of England Community Primary School has a named Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENCo) (Mrs Heather Paterson) who reports to the Senior Leadership Team. Special Needs issues are discussed at Governor Meetings. They endeavour to ensure that the Duxford Church of England Community Primary School Special Educational Needs and Disability Process (SEND) works within the guidelines and inclusion policies of the Code of Practice (April 2015), The Local Education Authority and other policies current within the school.

Our offer at Duxford Primary School

At Duxford Church of England Community Primary School we aim to provide high quality teaching to enable all of our children to develop confidently and to the very best of their ability. Therefore, every teacher in our school is a teacher of every child including those with SEND. We seek to promote a happy school atmosphere with an emphasis on self-respect and respect for others thereby raising the aspirations of and expectations for, all pupils with SEND. Those of our children who have Special Educational Needs and/or Disability will be given individual consideration and appropriate provision working in partnership with parents, staff and external providers, as necessary, to focus on positive outcomes for our pupils. All pupils whether they have Special Educational Needs and Disability or not, must have an equal opportunity to participate in the full curriculum of the school (including the National Curriculum) and all activities. Pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability will be encouraged to become independent and take responsibility within the school. The aim of this document is to give information about how we support children with SEND in our school. SEND is classified into four areas of need identified in the Code of Practice (April 2015) as:


Communication and Interaction

  • Speech, language and communication difficulties

  • ASD –including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism

    Cognition and Learning

  • Learning differences requiring a slower pace than peers, differentiation
  • Specific Learning Difficulties such as dyslexia, dyscalculia

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

  • Mental health issues such as anxiety, self harm, eating disorder ADHD

Sensory and/or physical needs

  • Vision or hearing impairment
  • Physical disability requiring additional ongoing support and equipment

This offer is subject to change depending on budgetary constraints and policy reviews.

How we Identify SEND

From Children and Families Act 2014 Clause 20

1) A child or young person has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

2) A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she-

a) Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or

b) Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post 16 institutions.

3) A child under compulsory school age has a learning or disability if he or she is likely to be within subsection 2, when of a compulsory school age (or would be likely, if no special education provision were made)

4) A child or young person does not have a learning difficulty or disability solely because of the language (or form of language) which is or has been spoken at home.

People who support children with Special educational Needs or disabilities at Duxford Primary School


Summary of responsibilities

Class Teacher

            He or she is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to high quality teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet children’s needs (also known as differentiation).
  • Assessing the progress of your child and identifying, planning for and delivering any additional support your child may require (this could be targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc) in collaboration with the TA and SENCo as necessary.
  • Writing personal targets and sharing these with your child and with you as parents/carers
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and of any specific adjustments which need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, in order that they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and /or specifically planned work and resources.
  • Ensure that they are liaising and working in partnership with you as parents/carers
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND practice is followed in their classrooms and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

You can contact the class teacher via the school office for an appointment at the end of the school day to speak informally or via the office email address.

The SEND co-ordinator:

Mrs Heather Paterson.


She is responsible for and will use her best endeavour to:-

  • Coordinate the provision for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND practice to make sure all children receive a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Liaise and work in partnership with external agencies, including the Educational Psychology Service, SEND 0-25 Years Specialist Teachers, Child Protection Service, Health Education Service, Hearing and Visual Impairment Service, Educational Welfare Service, Locality Team, Medical and Social Services and Voluntary Organisations
  • Ensure you are involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • Ensure you are kept informed about the support your child is receiving
  • Ensure you are involved in planning and reviewing the progress of your child
  • Maintain the school’s SEND register and provision map
  • Advise teachers, when required, on how your child might meet their planned learning targets.
  • Liaise and ensure smooth transition between different educational phases
  • Coordinate SEND interventions
  • Use ICT for recording and analysing assessments for tracking progress
  • Contributes, with support from outside agencies, to the in-service training of staff
  • Liaise closely with the Head Teacher and Senior Leadership Team
  • With support of the SLT, oversee the work of Teaching Assistants in supporting pupils with SEND

Mrs Paterson can be contacted via the school office for an appointment. Her working days are usually Wednesday and Thursday

The Head Teacher:

Mrs Suzanne Blackburne-Maze


She is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the provision for children with SEND
  • Monitoring, tracking and analysing the attainment of all pupils
  • Managing the SEND budget and using it to best support pupils with SEND
  • Ensuring the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND
  • Work with the school governors to support SEND provision
  • Liaising with external agencies

Mrs Blackburne-Maze can be contacted via the school office for an appointment




They are responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has up to date SEND Procedures/Information Report
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all pupils in the school.
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure all SEND children achieve his or her potential.
  • Raise awareness of SEN issues as governing board meetings.

Contact with Governors can be made through the school office


How can my child get help in school?

Children in Duxford Primary School will receive support that is specific to their individual needs. This may all be provided by the class teacher or may involve:

  • Other school staff

  • Staff from the local authority such as Educational Psychologists, Specialist Teaching Team

  • Staff from outside agencies such as Speech and Language Therapy


Types of support

What would this mean for your child?

Who receives the support?

Class Teacher-high quality teaching

Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class


Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand

Differentiating tasks, using different ways of teaching in order that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.

Putting in place specific strategies (which may have been suggested by the SENCo or outside agencies) to support your child’s learning.

All children in school

Specific small group work which may be:

a)Run in the classroom or outside

b)Run by a teacher or teaching assistant


These are generally known as intervention groups.

Your child’s teacher or SENCo will have monitored your child’s progress and will have planned specific group work to help close the gap between your child’s achievements and that of his or her peers.


A teaching assistant will run these small groups using the teacher’s targets or a recommended programme.


Each child’s progress is evaluated regularly, before and after the period of intervention.

Any child who has specific gaps in his or her understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Individual Support

Sometimes your child may require specialist support from a professional from an outside agency. This may be delivered in or out of school

Children whose learning needs require specialist support and advice in addition to the support already received in school.

Children with Education, Health and Care plans

In some instances, despite all in school measures being implemented, a pupil does not make progress. Either you or the school can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child. This may lead to additional support being provided by an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). You can find out more about this in the Local Offer on the Cambridge County Council website:

After you or the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority it will be decided whether your child requires statutory assessment. To help them decide the Local Authority will ask you and all professionals involved with your child, to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue to support your child seeking additional advice and support as appropriate.

If the Local Authority do decide your child’s needs are complex and require additional support in school to make good progress, then the Local Authority will write an EHC Plan. The EHC plan will outline the support your child will receive from the Local Authority and how the support should be used and what strategies should be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child. As a result of the plan, an additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Children with complex needs

How will we support your child with identified special needs before starting at school?

  • We are an inclusive school and visits are encouraged to meet staff directly involved with the child with SEND to discuss the needs and check the facilities we can offer. Duxford Primary School is built on one level with wheelchair accessible doorways and we also offer two disabled toilets.
  • If other professionals are already involved, a meeting may be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used and ensure provision is put in place prior to your child starting at Duxford Primary School. We would encourage other professionals/provisions to forward supporting documents to assist the transition process.
  • We may visit your child if he or she is attending another provision
  • We may write a plan of action to help your child settle more easily which may include a phased entry.

Admission should always be made through the admissions process:


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s school progress?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher.
  • You can speak to the SENCo
  • The Head Teacher can be contacted if you have concerns about how your child’s SEND is being managed

How will the school share concerns about my child’s learning?

The school has termly pupil progress meetings to monitor progress of all pupils. In addition, class records from the previous year or school are reviewed, National Curriculum Attainments, statutory assessments or tests, standardised test results and observations are scrutinised to help identify specific strengths and weaknesses. Where there are concerns the teacher will raise this with the SENCo and Headteacher. Following this meeting the school will discuss with you:

  • Any concerns you may have
  • Discuss additional support your child may receive
  • Discuss any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning. This will include writing an Early Help Assessment (EHA) and completion of their specific paperwork.
  • How we can work together to support your child at home/school


How is extra support allocated to children?

  • Extra in-class support or group intervention is allocated by the class teacher, the SENCo or other professionals involved with your child depending on their level of need.
  • Extra support/advice from outside professionals can be requested by school
  • Progress of all interventions and support is reviewed regularly to evaluate progress to see whether changes can/should be made
  • The school budget received from Cambridge County Council, includes money for supporting SEND children
  • All schools are required to pay the first £6,000 of support which equates to approximately 11 hours of additional adult support
  • From this overall budget the Head Teacher decides on the budget for SEND in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of the needs of the children in our school



Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

Directly funded by the Local Authority/Health Service

Specialist Teaching Service

Educational Psychology

Parent Partnership Service

Sensory Support Services-visual or hearing needs

Speech and Language Therapy

Occupational Therapy


School Nurse


Community Paediatrician

Cambridgeshire Mental Health Service

Directly funded by the School or Locality

Parent Support Advisor

Counselling Services



Other ways that we will support your child.


How are the adults in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of all children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on specific SEND issues and may be delivered internally, as training with other local schools or by an outside agency delivering inset training to staff. Individual teachers and support staff may also attend relevant courses for the specific needs of children in their class. The SENCo regularly attends the local authority SENCo network meetings and trainings specifically around SEND.


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEN/disabilities?

Class teachers plan lessons according to specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted to enable children to access their learning as independently as possible

Teaching assistants will implement the teacher’s modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child. Although your child may be supported closely by a teaching assistant the ultimate aim is to foster independence. Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. Examples of these are:

  • Modified teaching materials/resources e.g. word mats
  • Use of visual timetables
  • Specific equipment and technology
  • Accessible self help resources for independent learning-word books/cards/working walls
  • Pre-teaching of a strategy and specific subject vocabulary
  • Targeted guided teaching in small groups
  • Scaffolding of tasks
  • Extension activities
  • Access to ICT


Strategies used at Duxford Primary School to Develop/Support English


  • Targeted small booster groups for reading, comprehension, spelling, writing and phonics
  • Targeted one to one reading
  • Motor skills groups for improving handwriting
  • Paired reading
  • Writing slopes
  • Computer based programs

Strategies used at Duxford Primary School to Develop/Support Mathematics


  • Small group work with class teacher/teaching assistant to boost mental maths
  • First class @number
  • Use of numicon material
  • One to one numeracy support
  • Computer based programs


Strategies used at Duxford Primary School to support wellbeing


  • Lego therapy- to develop team work and cooperation
  • Spirals group-to develop team work, cooperation and develop social language
  • Social Stories-stories written to help individual children with different situations.
  • Referral to school nursing team through completion of Early Help Assessment form
  • Referral to Early Help support through completion of Early Help Assessment form
  • Referral to the Emotional Wellbeing Team through completion of their paperwork
  • Website links to Mental Health charities are provided on the school website



How we measure the progress of your child in school

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by the class teacher. Attendance, engagement in learning and behaviour are also monitored. Progress is reviewed formally every term.

You will be informed of your child’s progress at Parent/Carer Evenings in the Autumn and Spring Term and will receive written school reports.


Progress is assessed through Assertive Mentoring and the expectations of the National Curriculum. If your child is in year two and above and is not reaching the expectations of Assertive Mentoring or National Curriculum then a more sensitive assessment tool which show smaller but significant steps is used. These are called P scales. Children in year one and reception will be assessed against the Early Years Foundation Stage goals (EYFS).


At the end of Year 2 and Year 6, children are formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs). The government requires all schools to do these and results are published nationally. We can provide assistance in the form of readers or scribes for SATs if a need has been identified.

At the end of year 1, a formal phonics assessment is carried out. If children are exempt from this due to working below the level of assessment, they will be assessed at the end of year two instead.


The progress of children with EHC Plans is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with parents and all other professionals involved with your child.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

We would like you to talk regularly with your child’s class teacher so we can share what they are doing at home and school. A home/school contact book may be used to support communication. Homework may be adjusted to suit your child’s needs. Mrs Paterson (SENCo) is available to meet with you by making an appointment with the school office. Information from outside professionals will be made available in a report or through discussion. Education and Health Care Plans (EHCP) are reviewed annually at a meeting where all professionals working with your child are invited to attend.

If your child is undergoing statutory assessment you will be supported by the Children’s Services SEND caseworker. The Parent Partnership Service is available to contact at Castle Court. The telephone number is 01223 699214 and web address:


How we will support your child when they are leaving this school or moving onto another class

When a child is at a transition stage such as transition from pre-school or nursery or secondary school, we are in contact the SENCo of the school for advise of special arrangements or support your child may require. Records are also passed between schools. Schools will offer a visit or visits to support your child in the movement to a new setting.


When a child moves to a new class within school, information will be passed on to the new teacher in advance; children will have the opportunity to be in their new room with their new class teacher. In some instances, a transition book about the new class will be provided.


In year 5, children with EHC plans will have a ‘transition review’ of their progress and needs, which will be an opportunity to discuss appropriate secondary school options.

In year 6, the SENCo from the secondary school is invited to attend the EHC plan review. We can arrange additional visits to the secondary school for your child to become familiar with their new surroundings.

How we enable pupils with SEN to engage in activities available to those in school who do not have SEN?

All of our extra-curricular activities and school visits are available to all our pupils.

All pupils are encouraged to go on our residential trips in Y5 and in y6

All pupils are encouraged to take part in sports day, school plays, special days etc.

No pupil is ever excluded from taking part in these activities because of their SEN or disability.


Arrangements for admission of disabled pupils is through the LA admissions team or START team.

Duxford School is built on one level and has two disabled toilet areas.

Further access is highlighted in the Single Equality Policy.

What would I do if I suspect my child is being bullied?

Duxford Primary School staff all recognise that SEND children are potentially vulnerable to being bullied. Should this occur, the school would adhere to the schools positive behaviour policy and procedures.


How do we complain if things seem to be going wrong?

If a parent/carer has a complaint about the special educational provision for their child they should contact their child’s class teacher in the first instance. If you feel that the matter has not been resolved, please contact the SEND co-ordinator and subsequently the Head Teacher. All complaints will be investigated in line with Duxford Primary school’s concerns and complaints guidance procedures.


Any general concerns about SEND provision should be addressed to the Head Teacher.







Glossary of Terms


Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service


Early Years and Foundation Stage

EHC Plan

Education, Health Care plan


Educational Psychologist


General Practitioner


Individual Education Plan


Parent Partnership Service


Standard Assessment Tasks


Special Educational Needs

SEN Code of Practice

The legal document that sets out the requirements of SEN


Special Educational Needs and Disability


Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator


Teaching Assistant